Friday, July 11, 2008

4th of July


This being my first 4th of July in another part of the country, it was pretty cool to celebrate even if it lacked the familiar family feel. We started off the day with the Plymouth Parade which I though was great fun. They are definitely not as into floats or royalty as they were back in Utah, but boy could they put together fife and drum corps. I think I saw 5 or 6 at least all in period costume. It's cool to think that people from this state were involved in the Revolutionary war and Civil War. Poor Utah lacks a little bit of that history.
Tim's favorite part was the briefcase drill team (a group of local business men who do a little marching routine with briefcases; hilarious) and the giant monster car that spit fire. They baby and I thought the car was a little too loud for our tastes, but it was pretty cool.
After the parade, we went to the ward pancake breakfast. I don't know what it is about eating other people's pancakes, but they were so good! It was great to hang out with our friends in the ward too so we didn't feel like total loners on the 4th.
After the all important 4th of July nap, we headed off to the Downtown Plymouth Concert with a bucket of KFC and the largest soft drink I have ever seen. (I have been craving KFC mashed potatoes forever) The concert was awesome, they played old rock hits, and the weather was perfect. I hear Utah hit 100 degree so I was glad for my cool 80's. After the show we headed home. I don't think the Michiganese are very into fireworks and we couldn't find a show to go watch so we went to bed early. All in all it was the perfect 4th, but I did miss the family a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Whether or not you ever move back down the street from your families, you will ALWAYS remember this first big holiday away from home. So glad you two have each other (and the little miss on the way!)

    And if you're ever feeling lonely and homesick, throw a big party.. it's the cure-all for me! Love ya lots and lots~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel I missed you over the holiday. I remeber sleeping over on the 4th just after you where married. We had tortillas with cheese. In the pan that stamped sonbreros. And the parade that was only cool because the dancing jamba juice guy!

    ReplyDelete