Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Home Project: Day 1

After getting our keys yesterday around noon, I couldn't wait to get into our new house. I grabed Kennedy's pack-n-play and a bunch of cleaning supplies and headed over.
First of all, can I say how much cuter our house looks with the Spring green. Blossoming trees and bushes do so much. I can't wait to get a few flower beds going, but Tim keeps telling me to pace myself.
My first order of business was to try and eradicate all signs of the previous owner's dog (black lab) and cat. This proved to be a bigger challenge than I had anticipated. Take the refrigerator for example. The interior was coated (no I do not exaggerate) with a fine layer of black hair. Gross!!!! All of the window sills are covered in hair and I am even finding it on the walls, clinging to dust. This is going to be an ongoing project so stay tuned.
After 2 hours on the refrigerator, I headed upstairs to clean the bathroom. This was actually left rather clean except for all the dog hair in the vanity's drawers. Does anyone have tips for hair removal? I think I'll bring tape today.
During my projects, Kennedy enjoyed a nap in her new room. She already calls it "K K's room" (K K is how Tim is teaching her to say her name) The previous owners had a little boy so the room is blue. I am going to paint three of the walls a mint green with a pink accent wall. In the base of the green walls I found a cute 13" white wooden fence that I will staple to the walls. I think it is going to look super cute. I can't wait until we get to paint!
Once Tim got off work, he joined us in our new home. About 3 minutes after walking in the door he had already laid into the tile, ripping our several feet. The good news about the current cheap, poorly done tile job is that it is coming up very easy. They laid it right over the old linoleum and I don't even thing they used thin-set. It looks like they glued it or something. Either way Tim sliced through it like butter and would have had the whole thing our if he wasn't worried about damaging doors and other surfaces. My job today is to tape and cover with plastic anything we don't want covered with tile shards. Tim and a friend from the ward will remove the doors and toilet tonight and rip out the rest of the tile. Good luck boys!
While Tim was teaching the tile a lesson, Kennedy helped my remove all the cabinet doors and hardware. I also ripped off the old kitchen backsplash that was some sort of thin laminate sheet. Again super easy to remove!
We also went on a ice cream run, mostly to keep Kennedy from impaling herself on a tile shard, but also 'cause I had a craving for the sweet stuff. When we returned Tim had over half of the tile out. What a man!
After putting Kennedy down for the night, we worked a little more on the tile, but mostly talked about what to do next and how cool it is to own a new home. We are so blessed to have a place of our own, even if it is covered in dog hair and has half the kitchen torn up. I think I will try to post a little something each day, mostly for our personal record. I am saving the full "before" pictures for the big reveal, but here are a few of our new house and the destruction of day 1.
Front of the house. Love the huge trees all along the road. We just don't have huge trees in Utah.

Back of the house. Covered porch great during the rain (we got a little last night) I think I want to add flower beds along each side of the deck with a little walking path out from the steps.

Tile man and cheesy baby.

Removing the cabinet hardware.

Random picture of our cutest little helper. Boy can this kid handle a screwdriver!



4 comments:

  1. How fun to finally start your projects! I'm desperately wanting to buy a house now but the timing is not right. So I'm going to live vicariously and virtually through you. Keep the updates coming. Kennedy is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you guys really did jump in, didn't you?! How exciting! Don't forget that we owe you some serious babysitting, so please give me a call soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Rachel! That's quite the project and it looks like so much fun! Congrats on having your own house!!! I can't wait to see the finished pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it!! the yard is awesome. can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete