Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tribute to Dad

I know everyone says that their dad is the world's greatest, but I am afraid that only my pops can claim that title. I mean anyone that knows him thinks he's a great guy, but for us privileged five Bradshaw kids who get to call him dad, he is something more. Now I didn't know him when he was growing up, but all the reports I've heard point towards him being a all around good kid who stayed out of trouble (for the most part) and tried to do his best. However, by the time I came on the scene, he was already one of the coolest guys on the planet. He took me in for my first check up, let me sleep on his chest, and taught me how to escape my crib. All this with virtually no baby raising experience.
As the years went on, we became best friends throwing rocks at cows, singing "wheels on the bus", and downing Aggie ice cream. I have so many memories over the years of the special one-on-one time we shared. Popsicle nights (when he would sneak me out of bed to eat popsicles with him) and working with him on his many woodworking projects or garden jobs. He always had time to talk and loved to listen to the endless things I learned in school or read in a book. I never felt like my conversations bored him or that I asked too many questions. He had such fabulous insights too. He really could be a psychologist for all the life problems he helped me solve. Looking back, my teenage years were pretty smooth sailing with his help. I think that is what I miss most since I moved out; our long talks when I would sit on the edge of his bed and we would solve all the world's problems or wear our brains out discussing the meaning of some abstract gospel principle.
He taught me so much by talking, but even more by example. From observing him I learned the value of work and hope that I can one day be as committed as him in getting a job done. He was like superman when it came to a huge task. He plowed away until things were taken care of, not letting weather or complaining kids get in his way. One of my favorite memories was on a Christmas day when he decided that our house needed a bigger family room. The very next day a wall had been knocked down and we were on our way in a huge remolding project. I don't know where he learned how to do all the things he does, but from the garden to the house he's the man.
His example has also taught me to have dreams, set goals, and make things happen. A few years ago he wanted to get in shape and decided to start running. We all thought it was pretty funny that our dad was going to the gym to run each day. Not long after he started, he set his sights on a marathon and despite the obstacles he entered and completed a marathon. Not only that but he went on to run every marathon in Utah and the Boston Marathon all in the same year. He is like a work horse, just plugging along until he achieves what he sets out to do. Willpower incarnate.
There are too many great qualities about the guy to even begin to state them all. It has been hard leaving home for college, marriage, and now life in Michigan; but my dad has still managed to be just as great of a friend as ever. He encouraged me get a good education, work hard at my job, and follow my dreams across the Atlantic Ocean on a once-in-a-lifetime trip. Things will never be the same is when I napped on his chest or when we snuck off to Artic Circle for a bag of burgers, but he is still my dad and I will love him FOREVER! As Tim and I look forward to the birth of our own little bundle of mischief, I only hope I can be the kind of parent he was to me. Happy Father's Day Dad!!!!

2 comments:

  1. sweet post, Rach. You are a natural born blogger... and will soon realize the importance of having this all written down for your own little bundle of mischief to read. Your dad is amazing and your husband is going to have big shoes to fill in the daddy department. but my killer instincts tell me that Tim will do okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice tribute. Your dad sounds really great!

    ReplyDelete