Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Joys of Parenthood

Before Kennedy, I used to see parent with their children and think, "Wow, I want that." As I reflect on those feelings now I realize how naive I was. I had no idea what they had and could never know unless I experienced it for myself. I saw that they were happy and I had heard them try to explain the complicated mix of ups and downs that parenthood is and speak with love and anger at the journey. I myself had played part in this drama in the role of a daughter, but even then I could only know my side and my feelings.
Now I am a mother and have begun to taste the fruits for myself. I have my moments when I feel like screaming or crying and my moments when its all I can do to keep from hugging my child to death. I laugh at her silly faces and kiss her tiny toes. I worry, I wake, I pray and I work. My life is more complicated now with car seats, feedings, diapers and nerves and yet infinitely simplified with love and family. Tim and I have come closer together and yet sometimes we barely see each other with her interrupting needs punctuating our short time alone. But at the end of the day there is joy. The joy I saw in the face of those women, but more than I could ever understand.

7 comments:

  1. I was just going to write beautiful, but my darling sister beat me to it. So I will say lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Can I steal that and put it in my journal? Amazingly well written! I agree 100%! Glad to see you are so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel you are so sweet! That IS beautiful; what was your major again? You should be a writer! We miss you guys, and hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a very wonderful post. I have felt exactly the same thing, but I would not have been able to put it in words like you have done so eloquently. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And to think it is just the beginning! :o) Thanks for sharing such sweet thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got back from visiting teaching and this is exactly the sentiment that I was trying to put across. With your permission I will print out the cherished words and share them since you said it much better than I.

    ReplyDelete