Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hurrah for History!

Not long after Kennedy was born I felt the need to get involved somewhere outside the home. After a surprisingly difficult search for volunteer opportunities, I stumbled onto the Plymouth Historical Museum. Home to several interesting exhibits on the town's history as well as the largest Lincoln collection in Michigan, it immediately provided me with several opportunities to get involved. I started off as a docent giving tours of the museum and I put my history degree to good use researching and studying up on the various material on display. I also worked a bit on the museums website, not that I had any idea what I was doing.
I recently finished a project that I am especially proud of and so if you will all forgive me as I toot my own horn I will tell you about it. Apparently the newest thing in the museum world are cell phone audio tours, where patrons use their own phones to hear interesting information on the sites or exhibits. Our little museum purchased this program and through a series of interesting events the project came to me. After a lot of research, I finished the script and then set about recording the tour. It was weird to hear my voice that often. Does anyone else think their voice sounds weird?
Anyhow, I just finished recording the tour this week and made little signs with each prompt on them to go around the museum. I think it turned out rather well and we've already gotten some great feedback from the first wave of patrons to try it this weekend.
I am just excited to realize that I don't have to stop thinking, learning, and doing just because I am a stay at home mom. I can use the degree I earned and help share what I know with others. I was worried that that part of my would have to be put on the shelve until my kids were raised, but now I see that I can put my child first and continue to share and grow at the same time.
Well, that's enough about that.

If you would like to listen to the audio tour... come to the museum! If Plymouth, Michigan is a little out of your way you can also just dial the tour number. There are 12 prompts, but I only included a few of the signs. Check out our website at: http://plymouthhistory.org/




9 comments:

  1. Rachel, this looks awesome! I'm going to go to the museum and check it out. Missed you at choir yesterday (this is Angie Gardner, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great, Rachel! Good for you! We'll have to come check it out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually called the number, but didnt get too far. Apparently i need an ID number. But your voice did sound nice on the audio. Do you get paid?-matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, I am super impressed! You are an inspiration to this stay-at-home mom :) That really is such a good idea; we'll have to come check out the museum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel-how awesome! I know what you mean about using your talents, other than mothering. I'm so impressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt-
    No I didn't get paid, but I do think that I would like to work as a museum curator one day. Also, I think the ID number you mentioned is just the item numbers. Try entering 1 and the # sign. I would like to know if you still have problems as there may be a glitch I should look into.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All i can say is sweet! That is one of the coolest things ever! Keep it up sister! Your talents are amazing! Someday i want to grow up to be just like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I can't come visit the museum I called the number. It sounds great and is very informative. It was fun to hear your voice after, what, six years? And I agree you are an inspiration to the stay-at-home mom. I'm glad you tooted your own horn so I could enjoy that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel, I think you are so cool for seeking out such an opportunity. Great job!

    ReplyDelete