Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Great Michigan Adventure!

When my family booked a flight to visit us distant Clawsons back in March, I had no idea what an adventure we would have. After a dedicated team of siblings counted down the days until the visit down to zero, the time had finally arrived. After a slight rain delay in Denver, the Bradshaws flew into the Motor City to kick off the Great Michigan Adventure.
Kennedy playing with her uncles after picking them up from the 1 am flight.

Day 1:
After a yummy breakfast of blueberry pancakes, the crew headed outside to walk down Hines Drive to the park. Along the way we stopped by Newburg Lake and visited the horses at the Sheriff's barn on the way home. We had lunch and then drove in shifts (we only had one car) to downtown Plymouth. Kennedy and grandma played with the puppets while the rest of the gang looked for a good book on cd for the drive to Mackinac or movies. After the library, I took the fam to see the Plymouth Historical Museum. I had just finished the first recording of the free audio guided tour of the Lincoln room exhibit. It has been quite the project, but it was cool to see my family listening to my tour. As I drove back home to pick up Tim, the rest walked around the shops in Plymouth. We met up at Panera for an awesome dinner.
When we finished eating, we sat out on the grass in Kellog Park and listened to the Friday night concert. The group played blues music that none of us really loved, but it was fun just to hang out.

Kennedy and Grandpa playing in the park.

Aunt Kayla helping on the slide.

Pretty horse, pretty horse.

Grandma and Kennedy playing with the puppets.

Dad and Ryan with Lincoln's horse Bob in the Plymouth Historical Museum.

Enjoying the outdoor concert in the park.

Day 2:
We had previously planned to spend Saturday in Greenfield Village; however, a the downpour outside caused us to quickly change plans. We decided to go to the Henry Ford instead. As a history buff, I am ashamed to say that after living here for over a year I had never been to the Henry Ford museums. Boy was I missing out. There is so much to see and do. I think I could go everyday for a year and still not learn everything. My dad may have been the best part of the whole museum as he bounded around with childlike glee amidst all the amazing exhibits.
My favorites were the presidential cars, the Rosa Parks Bus, the made in America assembly line, the crazy dymaxion house, and the giant train. I can't wait to go back!
After the museum we went to Buddy's pizza for dinner and ate delicious square pizza to our hearts delight.
Back at home, I whipped up Kennedy's "Bird"-day cake and we got ready for her 1st birthday party! Using chocolate bunt cake for the nest, blow pops for eggs, and a bean bag bird for the topper I think I did alright for my 1st real cake design. I've got a long way to go to get to my mom's level, but baby steps. Kennedy seemed to enjoy the cake and even blew at the candle (she needed a little extra wind to finish it off).
She was a riot opening her gifts, handing me each piece of wrapping paper as she tore it off. She got great gifts from her aunts and uncles and grandma and grandpa. Her dad resorted to wrapping her current toys in tin foil for his birthday offering. She didn't know the difference.
As you can see from the pictures, she went after the cake with gusto. Hooray for her new raincoat/ bib!
For the party game, we made paper birds to hang in Kennedy's room. I must say that we created quite a diverse flock, but Kennedy loved them all.
Riding in a Model T!

Working hard on the assembly line. I need more wheels!!!

Buddy's Pizza!

"Bird"-day cake

Happy 1st birthday Kennedy!

Getting messy!

Crazy birds!




4 comments:

  1. That was so much fun! But my fudge has gone kind of stale...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for posting, and yes I am becoming more and more sad I didn't go and more more excited to come and visity you sometime. How is K liking her bird filled room?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love you guys so much and miss you tons! Since Tyson can't seem to get the job done, here's my e-mail: christymbigelow@gmail.com
    E-mail me and I'll e-mail you an invite to our blog, so Kennedy can meet her new best-friend! Hehe!

    ReplyDelete